Given that the Kerala Forest Department has yet to get a satellite radio collar, Mission Arikompan is probably going to be postponed.
What is Mission Arikompan?
- To apprehend the rebel tusker known as Arikompan, the forest department has launched “Mission Arikompan.”
- Its arrest with tranquillizer injections and training to become a “kumki,” a captive elephant used for operations against rogue elephants, are the forest department’s ideas.
Panthera Wildlife Reserve
- The Parambikulam Tiger Reserve is situated in Kerala’s Thrissur and Palakkad districts.
- Between the Anaimalai Hills and Nelliyampathy Hills is where it is located in the Sungam range of hills.
- The UNESCO World Heritage Committee has designated the entire Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, as part of the Western Ghats, Anaimalai Sub-Cluster, as a World Heritage Site.
- Four distinct indigenous tribes, including the Kadar, Malasar, Muduvar, and Mala Malasar, call the Tiger Reserve home.
Wildlife specialists identify this refuge as the “state capital for the massive gharial.”.