The “Abhilekh Patal” portal, which houses more than 1 crore pages of historical records from the National Archives, has received commendation from the Prime Minister of India.
About Abhilekh Patal
- A board, platform, or surface is described by the Sanskrit words abhilekh and patal, which have both been used in Indian archives going back thousands of years.
- For the abbreviation for the Portal for Access to Archives and Learning, both of these words have been used.
- It is a fully functional web site for online access to the reference materials and digital collections of the National
- Archives of India.
More than 2.7 million files owned by the National Archives of India are represented in it as reference material.
The Indian National Archives
- It serves as the repository for the Government of India’s historical records and holds them in trust for the benefit of both record authors and public users.
- It is an Attached Office of the Indian Government’s Ministry of Culture.
- The Imperial Record Department was established on March 11, 1891, in Calcutta (Kolkata). In 1911, it was moved to The New Capital in New Delhi.