The Sangita Kalanidhi Award for 2023 goes to Bombay Jayashri:
- It came into existence in 1942 and is regarded as the highest honor in the realm of Carnatic music.
- Prior to that, the music academy’s annual conference was presided over by a senior musician or expert. In 1942, it was determined that the musician who had been invited would be bestowed with the title of Sangita Kalanidhi, along with a gold medal and a citation (Birudu Patra).
- Bombay Jayashri, a singer of Carnatic music, has been chosen to receive the Sangita Kalanidhi award from the Music Academy in 2023.
- The Madras Music Academy confers the award.
- The Madras Music Academy is a prominent institution in the history of the fine arts.
- It emerged from the All-India Congress Session held in Madras in December 1927. A music conference was held along with it, and during the deliberations, the idea of a music academy emerged.
- It was intended to serve as the organization that would establish the standard for Carnatic music.
Sangita Kala Acharya Award:
- This award, which has been around since 1993, is given to people who have made a difference by getting a lot of disciples on stage.This award is granted yearly to two senior musicians and preceptors.
- Carnatic vocalist Palkulangara Ambika Devi from Kerala and mridangam musician K.S. Kalidas, a pupil of the late Palani M. Subramania Pillai, receive the Sangita Kala Acharya award.
Nritya Kalanidhi award:
- The Madras Music Academy presents it each year in the area of dance.
- The Nritiya Kalanidhi award for dance goes to Vasanthalakshmi Narasimhachari.