OpenAI has announced the release of its latest large language model, GPT-4. This model is a large multimodal model that can accept both image and text inputs and generate text outputs.
What are Generative Pre-trained Transformers?
Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT) are a type of deep learning model used to generate human-like text. Common uses include
- answering questions
- summarizing text
- translating text to other languages
- generating code
- generating blog posts, stories, conversations, and other content types.
There are endless applications for GPT models, and you can even fine-tune them on specific data to create even better results. By using transformers, you will be saving costs on computing, time, and other resources.
What’s New in GPT-4?
GPT-4 has been developed to improve model “alignment” – the ability to follow user intentions while also making it more truthful and generating less offensive or dangerous output.
The Potential Benefits of GPT-4
People who integrate GPT models into their daily work or study flow can expect to see massive changes. These changes will mainly translate to three things:
When engaging with a GPT model, you’re effectively automating a task or asking the AI to do the heavy lifting. If this is a repetitive task, you are adding a significant amount of time to your calendar. Some of these tasks can be writing emails, social media captions, and generating replies to comments.
Effective Allocation of Resources
If you’re running a business, you want to generate maximum return on investment. With GPT-4, you can create a situation where most of your resources are spent on high-ROI tasks. For the rest, you can incorporate GPT-4 for automation and have a few supervisors for final reviews. This saves you plenty of time and resources.
Improved User Experience
When searching for answers on the Internet, we usually check 3-4 pages until we find something accurate. With GPT-4, we get a direct answer. And we are not bombarded with ads all over the page. This is for a normal user. If it’s for a business, the response time of chatbots and engagement rate from content will help improve customer experience, resulting in better retention rates.
What Does the Future Hold for GPT-4?
GPT-4 will be another state-of-the-art large language model by OpenAI that will introduce new possibilities and make the entire industry more efficient.
When we look into the future era of GPT-4, we should focus on the near term of 2023 rather than the long term over the next 5-10 years. This is because things can quickly shift course in AI.
Predictions for GPT-4
- OpenAI will commercialize on a large scale: Many believe that OpenAI will make the majority of its revenue through licensing the underlying technology to other companies for creating their own custom chatbots than from the subscription model. Microsoft has already announced this in their plans to incorporate ChatGPT into their product lineup.
- A new race in search begins: Microsoft’s Bing is the first to integrate GPT models into search, initiating a new race in search that Google has dominated for over two decades. We will see Google aggressively build its version of ChatGPT called Bard and compete with Microsoft.
- Uncertainty for online creators skyrockets: With models like GPT-4, we’re essentially discussing disrupting the relationship between the Internet and the end user. So far, search engines have driven traffic to content, generative ad revenue, product sales, and much more. Now that could be significantly impacted as more users rely on GPT-4 models for search. So cracking revenue distribution for original content creators will be crucial moving forward.
- Regulators take notice: 2023 may finally be the year when regulators take notice of the AI disruption. We may see policies slowly forming that give a framework to establish safety and copyright laws for these AI models.
- AI alignment remains unsolved: We mentioned better alignment with human values would be seen in GPT-4 in earlier sections. But we don’t think it will completely solve the problem as we are nowhere close to an AGI.
- False news will be on the rise: One of the negative parts of the parabolic growth of GPT models is that bad actors can spread fake news much faster than before. As it almost speaks like a human, it will be hard to distinguish.
- WHAT ARE THE LIMITATIONS OF GPT-4?
According to OpenAI, GPT-4 has similar limitations as its prior versions and is “less capable than humans in many real-world scenarios”. Inaccurate responses known as “hallucinations” have been a challenge for many AI programs, including GPT-4.
OpenAI said GPT-4 can rival human propagandists in many domains, especially when teamed up with a human editor. It cited an example where GPT-4 came up with suggestions that seemed plausible, ..