Context– The status of COVID-19 has been changed by the World Health Organization from ‘ Public health emergency of international concern’ to ‘other endemic diseases’.
After effects of the Covid 19-
- There was a prevalent misinformation that the 3rd wave would affect the children , since then the children being deprived of schooling and learning and repeatedly being asked to mask-up. Even in April 2023 , school closures and mandatory mask wearing activities has been carried out by support of misinformation , social media influencers etc.
Recently a study was conducted regarding the mask enforcement for schoolchildren , by analyzing the views of different groups –
- Trained public health experts and epidemiologists – have consensus that schools should not be closed and mask wearing activity should not be mandatory for children
- Super- specialists like hepatologists or endocrinologists agreed on wearing the mask and school closures
- Experts and influencers living outside India have stronger arguments for school closures and mask wearing for Children in India
- In outbreaks and epidemics , policy interventions and preventive advice need to factor in the local context and not by observing the pattern in other countries.
- The dogmatic stand has been adopted by many self-proclaimed experts, some influencers have positioned themselves as Super-reviewers of scientific studies and use social media platforms to find limitations and criticize the robust studies.
- Covid deniers at the beginning now become Covid foreverers.
SOLUTIONS/ WAY FORWARD-
- With the WHO’s announcement, Covid 19 has transitioned from a population level challenge to more of an individual level concern.
- Government should run formal training courses on the principles and practice of epidemiology.
- India’s response to outbreaks and epidemics should be guided by a understanding of epidemiology and not derailed by social media influencers.
Question – Consider the following statements
- World Health organization is the United Nations agency
- Its aim is to expand universal health coverage and promotion of healthier lives
Choose the incorrect code
b. 2 only
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2