- A distinguished economist with both national and international acclaim, Utsa Patnaik, has been chosen to receive the Malcolm Adiseshiah Award in 2023.
Malcolm Adiseshiah Award
- One of India’s most esteemed national prizes, it honours and celebrates the exceptional contributions made by social scientists to the field of development studies.
- The Malcolm and Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust has established it in 2000.
- An excellent social scientist is chosen each year from nominations by a specially assembled national jury to receive the prize. A citation and Rs. 2 lahks in prize money are included with the honour.
- The Malcolm Adiseshiah Award for outstanding achievements in development studies comes with a citation and a monetary prize of Rs. 1 lakh.
- Indian economist and educator Malcolm Sathiyanathan Adiseshiah (1910–1994) focused on economic development. He received the Padma Bhushan in 1976.
Indian honorees in the past
- Professors Bina Agarwal (in 2002), Jandhyala B. G. Tilak (in 2003), Dipankar Gupta (in 2004), Dr Amita Baviskar (an associate professor) (in 2005), and Prabhat Patnaik (an economic and political analyst) (in 2022) have all been in the field of education.