This article highlights the Hiroshima meet of the G-7, where Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida aimed to promote global solidarity for peace. (The Hindu , 23rd May,2023)
What is the context?
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida through Hiroshima meet of the G-7 aimed to promote global solidarity for peace. The Hiroshima meet of the G-7 held symbolic value as leaders visited the peace memorial for atomic bombing victims. They issued a special statement on nuclear disarmament, called the “Hiroshima Vision Statement.”
US President Joseph Biden, only the second sitting American President to visit Hiroshima, attended the summit. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s surprise arrival drew attention to Russia’s invasion. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s emphasis on the crisis as a matter of “humanity” at Hiroshima meet of the G-7 was significant.
What significant actions were taken ?
- The G-7 members issued a separate statement on Ukraine, imposing additional sanctions on Russia. However, they failed to provide a clear path for dialogue and ending the war.
- The G-7 leaders, along with the EU leadership, visited the peace memorial for the victims of the 1945 atomic bombing. Additionally, they issued a special “Hiroshima Vision Statement on Nuclear Disarmament.”
Why is the G-7 considered unrepresentative of the world today?
- Despite collectively representing over half of the world’s net wealth, the G-7 accounts for less than a third of global GDP and just over a tenth of the world’s population. The membership primarily reflects a Euro-American worldview and shows no indication of expanding beyond Japan.
- Excluding major economies like China and India, as well as the fastest-growing GDPs and significant energy providers, raises questions about the group’s validity as an economic forum.
Did the G-7 summit propose measures for global challenges?
- Although the summit recognized the G-7’s role in promoting transparent financing, debt sustainability, and addressing global warming, it failed to propose concrete measures to fulfill these responsibilities.
- As the G-20 summit in Delhi comes into focus, we hope that the G-7 will adopt a more inclusive outlook and actively contribute to building a comprehensive global consensus on the major challenges the world faces.
Shortcomings of the G-7 summit in terms of addressing global issues
Despite attempts to acknowledge the G-7’s role in promoting transparent financing, debt sustainability, and addressing climate change, there was a lack of concrete measures to fulfill these responsibilities.
The Hiroshima meet of the G-7 conveyed a message of global peace and issued a vision statement on nuclear disarmament. However, its limited representation and failure to propose concrete measures highlight the need for a more inclusive approach in addressing global challenges.
The G-7 should recognize its limited representation and strive for a broader perspective. It should aim to include major economies and global energy providers, as well as propose practical measures to fulfill its responsibilities. The upcoming G-20 summit presents an opportunity to work towards a more inclusive outlook and build a comprehensive global consensus.
For more opinion and analysis of current affairs based news article, please visit