SCO calls for multipolar world order as Iran joins grouping
The article highlights that India has expressed support for the reform and modernization proposal of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) during the recent SCO summit.
What is the context?
In a significant development, India has thrown its weight behind the reform and modernization proposal of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO). Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed India’s support for the initiative, emphasizing the importance of revamping the organization to better address the evolving regional challenges. This endorsement reflects India’s commitment to fostering regional cooperation and strengthening its ties with SCO member countries.
India’s Support for SCO Reforms:
During his address at the summit, Prime Minister Modi conveyed India’s support for SCO’s proposal for reform and modernization. He acknowledged the changing dynamics in the region and stressed the need for SCO to adapt to the emerging challenges effectively. By backing the reform agenda, India aims to enhance the organization’s credibility, responsiveness, and efficiency in addressing regional issues such as terrorism, extremism, and economic cooperation.
Rationale behind India’s Endorsement:
- India’s support for SCO’s reform and modernization proposal stems from several key factors. Firstly, India recognizes the significance of the SCO as a platform for regional cooperation and multilateral dialogue. By actively participating in the reform process, India aims to strengthen its position within the organization and actively contribute to shaping its future course.
- Secondly, India’s endorsement aligns with its broader foreign policy objectives, including promoting regional stability, connectivity, and economic integration. The proposed reforms can lead to better coordination and cooperation among SCO member states. Through fostering an environment conducive to peace and stability in the region, the initiative
Implications of Proposed Reforms:
Endorsement by India has significant implications for SCO’s future functioning. Reforms aim to streamline decision-making, enhance SCO Secretariat’s role, and promote collaboration.
- Strengthening counterterrorism: Joint efforts against terrorism, extremism, and separatism.
- Economic integration and connectivity: Enhancing trade, investment, transport, energy corridors, and people-to-people exchanges.
- Expanded dialogue mechanisms: Facilitating inclusive discussions and fostering understanding, trust, and cooperation.
India’s support for SCO’s reform proposal highlights its commitment to regional cooperation and multilateralism. India aims to shape SCO’s future and address evolving challenges. The reforms can strengthen counterterrorism, promote economic integration, and foster dialogue. Collective efforts of member countries, including India, are crucial for SCO’s objectives and a peaceful region.
To explore more articles and analysis, please visit