The article highlights the validation of Tamil Nadu’s stand on jallikattu by the Supreme Court. It settles the debate on the sport’s legality and concerns about animal cruelty. (Source: The Hindu, 21st May,2023)
What is the context?
The Supreme Court has validated Tamil Nadu’s stand on jallikattu, the traditional rural sport involving bulls, settling the debate on its legality and animal cruelty concerns. The court’s ruling also extends to similar bovine sports in Karnataka and Maharashtra.
The Ban on Jallikattu
In 2014, the Supreme Court banned jallikattu and similar sports, deeming Tamil Nadu’s law inconsistent with the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960. The court criticized the State law for prioritizing human interests over animal welfare.
Tamil Nadu’s Response
Massive protests erupted in 2017, demanding jallikattu’s revival. The government, with Union support, enacted a State-specific amendment to promote tradition, culture, and native bull breeds. The President approved the amendment, making it law.
The Recent Supreme Court Ruling
In a recent ruling, the Supreme Court recognized jallikattu as part of Tamil Nadu’s cultural heritage. It upheld the Amendment Act, affirming its legitimacy and rejecting claims of colorable legislation. The court stressed the importance of regulations to prevent animal rights abuses.
Conclusion and Way Ahead
The Supreme Court’s validation marks a significant development. It acknowledges the sport’s cultural significance while emphasizing the need for regulations to protect animals. Strict measures must continue to safeguard animal rights in jallikattu and similar sports, striking a balance between tradition and welfare.
Possible UPSC Mains Questions
- Discuss the Supreme Court’s validation of Tamil Nadu’s stand on jallikattu and its implications for similar bovine sports in Karnataka and Maharashtra.
- Analyze the implications of the Supreme Court’s ruling on jallikattu for animal rights and cultural heritage preservation in India.
- Critically analyze the implications of the Supreme Court’s ruling on jallikattu for animal rights and cultural heritage preservation in India.
- Assess the balance between preserving tradition and protecting animal welfare in the context of jallikattu and similar sports, considering the Supreme Court’s validation.
- Discuss the challenges and prospects of implementing strict measures to safeguard animal rights in jallikattu and similar bovine sports.
- Evaluate the role of legislation and judicial interventions in addressing the concerns surrounding jallikattu and balancing competing interests.
To explore other recent judgments of the Supreme Court, please visit
For More Interesting Current Affair Click Here!